The PE lessons throughout the year follow the national curriculum. Each term, pupils take part in 2 different sports, one of which is provided by Premier Sport coaches. Sports include:
Children wear their PE kit on the day that they have PE.
Days for PE each year are promulgated in the first edition of Pitton News.
Juniors, especially the Upper Juniors, are offered the chance to take part in a number of external sports events over the year. During 2018/19 pupils took part in:
- Salisbury Schools orienteering league
- Netball High 5 competition
- Salisbury Schools Mini Marathon
- Salisbury Small Schools Tournament (football and netball)
- Lacrosse taster at Godolphin School
- Quad Kids tournament (athletics)
- Stingrays Swimming Gala
- Tag Rugby competition
- Football competitions
- Quicksticks (hockey) tournament
- FUNdamentals session (ball skills for Lower school pupils)
- Tennis tournament
- Boccia competition
- Cross-country competition
- A Chance to Shine 6-week cricket course for our Reception - Year 2 pupils, provided by Wiltshire Cricket coaches
All children at Pitton School swim throughout the year at Five Rivers Health & Wellbeing Centre on a Tuesday afternoon.
Terms 1,3 & 5: Upper School swimming
Terms 2, 4 & 6: Lower & Middle School swimming
Swimming is part of the PE curriculum and it is expected that all pupils will attend swimming lessons. If a pupil is unable to swim then they will be expected to sit poolside and watch the lessons.
The national curriculum requirement is for pupils to finish primary school:
- being able to swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- use a range of strokes effectively
- perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations
By the end of June 2019, all but one of our Year 6 pupils achieved this goal.
Distance Swimming Badges
Pupils are tested for distance swimming badges towards the end of either Term 5 (Upper School) or Term 6 (Lower & Middle School). We also offer an additional hour long swimming session for Year 6 pupils who wish to achieve 1000m+.
For children who have external swimming lessons, distance swimming certificates can be handed out by the Head Teacher during Golden Assembly on a Friday.