School Logo

Welcome to Pitton Church of England Voluntary Aided Primary School

Life In All Its Fullness

Google Translate


Miss Pearce is our SENCo.  Please refer any questions to her via the school office.

10-minute SEN appointments are available every Wednesday morning at 9am; please book the next available slot through the school office.


Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND) Information Report




Every school is expected to publish an information report on all services relating to young people with SEND.  Our school’s information report can be found below and follows a question and answer format for ease of access. Our policy for Special Educational Needs can be found above.





How many children are in the school and in each year group?

There are currently 89 pupils on roll in total. On average, there are 14 pupils in each year group. There are four classes in the school: Reception/Year 1, Year 2/Year 3, Year 4/Year 5 and Year 6.


What percentage of the school has SEND needs?

 At present, 17% of the school has SEND.





How does the school know if my child needs extra help and what should I do if I think my child might have SEND?

Through regular and ongoing progress checks, the school quickly identifies those children who may not be making the expected progress, including in the areas of academic, social and physical skills. Needs may have been identified in another setting and this information is passed on during transition meetings. If you have concerns about your child, initially contact their class teacher, or arrange a 10-minute appointment with the SENCo on a Wednesday morning.


What training do members of staff receive on supporting children with SEND? How is this evaluated / updated?

The School has an experienced and trained SENCo.  Teachers and Teaching Assistants have training in school and attend courses run by outside agencies. Both the SENCo and Teaching Assistants attend regular cluster meetings. The school leadership team evaluates the impact of training through regular reviews.


What specialist services and expertise are available to my child?

  • Medical needs – the school can make referrals to the Community Paediatrician
  • Sensory – the school can make referrals to the sensory impairment team
  • The school has access to an assigned Educational Psychologist
  • Cognition and Learning: the school can consult specialist SEN advisory teachers
  • CAMHS – referrals can be made
  • Physio – the school will implement programmes as set by Physiotherapists
  • Speech Therapy  – the school can make referrals & implement programmes designed by the  Speech and Language service
  • Communication needs – as Speech Therapy
  • Makaton – members of staff have basic Makaton language skills
  • Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists may visit by arrangement with the school. The SENCo is able to use their advice service
  • Counselling – the school has access to counselling provision.


How will the setting support my child to achieve their potential?

In collaboration with parents and pupils, the school sets targets to help pupils to achieve their potential. The school uses a wide range of strategies and specialist support programmes to enable your child to make progress. These strategies and support programmes are reviewed and revised on a regular basis and pupils’ progress is closely monitored.


How will the curriculum be matched to my child/young person’s needs?

Teachers differentiate work within their lessons to enable all pupils to achieve. There is access to specialist resources, ICT programs and additional adult support. Your child’s My Plan targets will be taken into consideration by the teacher when lessons are being planned. Specialist advice may also be sought to help match the curriculum to your child’s needs. 


How are the school's resources allocated and matched to children’s SEND?

Levels of support staffing and specialist resources are reviewed by the school at the start of each academic year and allocated according to need and what resources are available. This is also discussed with parents at the initial meeting; resources may be shared between home and school.


What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

Ofsted has identified the school as having a particularly caring ethos with outstanding behaviour. As a small school all pupils are known to all staff, including our Midday Supervisors. We are committed to sharing information amongst staff about pupils who have been identified as needing additional support.





How will I know how my child/young person is doing?  How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

There are two formal parent consultations during the year, an annual report and opportunities to discuss it.

If your child has SEND, there are additional meetings including one at the start of the academic year to discuss your child’s needs and to set their personal and individualised targets. This takes the form of a non-statutory ‘My Plan’ or a statutory ‘Education, Health Care Plan’. The SENCo is available weekly by appointment for meetings.


What support is there for parents/carers?

The teachers are always available for discussions and to offer support. The SENCo runs information sessions for parents and has a dedicated morning each week during which parents can come and see her. There is a dedicated SEN Governor who can be contacted via the school office; in addition the school can put parents in touch with specific groups that support SEN.


Who can I contact for further information and how?

You can contact the SENCo or Headteacher at the school on 01722 712322 or email the school office 


What can I do if I am unhappy with the school’s provision for my child with SEND?

 In the first instance, arrange a meeting with the class teacher and SENCo. If you feel that your concerns have not been addressed, please make an appointment with the Headteacher. If you still feel that your specific issues are not being addressed by the school, you can contact the SEN Governor and/or the Chair of Governors through the school office.





How accessible is the setting environment?

The school has full disabled access, including disabled toileting facilities. The school could be adapted to accommodate specific needs.


Can my child school lunch requirements be accommodated if they have a special diet?

Our caterers HC3S provide a meat and vegetarian option each day and are able, with advanced notice, to adapt these for special diets.


How will my child be included in activities outside of the classroom including educational visits?

We are an inclusive school and ensure that pupils are able to participate fully in school life. We liaise with parents when arranging educational visits (including residential) to ensure that the correct level of supervision and provision is in place. All parents are welcome to accompany their child on activities outside of the classroom.


What social / out of school opportunities are there?

We have a number of before and after school clubs, including sport, drama and music.  A popular activity is the weekly Golden Time, in which children from different year groups mix freely whist participating in a wide range of activities run by the teachers and support staff. There are special events including themed days and social activities (such as discos) run by FOPs (Friends of Pitton School).


How will you support my child’s social development?

Children’s social development is developed through their curriculum activities and playtimes. For those pupils who need additional support, the school has members of staff who are trained in running Social Skills groups. Outside agencies may also be involved.





What transition arrangements are in place between Key Stages and moving from Pre-School/Nursery to Primary School?

As a small school we can be very flexible about the amount of time your child may need to make a transition into a new class. We arrange for them to spend time in their new classroom prior to moving and teachers liaise closely with each other to ensure a smooth transfer between classes.

The SENCo and Class Teacher meet with Pre-Schools prior to children moving school and have as many familiarisation days as appropriate.


How well the school prepare and support my child to move on to secondary school?

Once you know which secondary school your child will be attending, the SENCo contacts the SENCo of that secondary school and initiates a transition process. This can include your child being visited in school by staff from their new setting and additional visits to the school, accompanied by an member of our school staff. Secondary schools are usually very amenable to additional visits to ensure that your child feels happy about their change to a new school. Secondary school provision can be either mainstream or specialist according to your child’s needs.